Protect Yourself from Fall and Winter Skin!
Winter months and cold weather can be harsh on your skin. During the winter months, the combination of lower temperatures and reduced humidity extracts moisture from your skin. Your skin needs moisture to stay hydrated and healthy. When moisture evaporates from the top layer of skin, your skin may look drier, redder, flakier and older looking.
The most common symptoms of Winter Skin are:
1. Dry Skin. During winter months, dry air ‘sucks’ the moisture out of your skin. If you have dry skin, try to limit the use of harsh cleansers. A moisturizing cleanser will help retain moisture.
2. Older looking skin. Wrinkles and lines in your skin are more apparent when your skin lacks moisture. A moisturizing cream or lotion can help diminish lines and wrinkles.
3. Flaking. When your skin is lacking moisture, the dry, dead skin cells on your upper layer of skin will be more visible. The dry cells clump together and form visible flakes.
4. Redness. When skin becomes dry, microscopic cracks can develop in the top layer of skin. Cracks in the skin can make it irritated and red.
5. Itching. The dryer your skin becomes, the itchier it may become. Moisturizing creams and lotions can help fight itching.
Lastly, now is a good time to see your esthetician for a facial or peel!